Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Attachment Parenting versus over parenting

I could have written this article and honestly - over parenting and thinking/complaining about over parenting consumes far too much of my time.

I think one of the most valuable parenting advice I've ever gotten from my mother is no advice at all. The old ladies in the grocery store have passed on (collectively) more tidbits and things to me than anyone else. Most recently, I was trying to put my screaming toddler onto my back to put her into the baby carrier and a woman actually walked up and asked me if the baby was going to fall and get hurt. Another woman came over and just helped hold my baby close to my back while I completed the tie job, mission accomplished while on-lookers appeared horrified at my obvious disregard for the safety of my screaming child.

Also, I confess that I got a little hung up in pregnancy and bought a crib, playpen with bells/whistles, and various other baby care items. My husband and I are still disagreeing about whether or not a future baby is possible, so here I am thinking I should keep the unused baby crap for the "next" while guffawing at my own stupidity for buying items that I won't use anyway.

There is an intensely strong urge to nest for me in pregnancy, and this contributes to my need to consume and build a nest for the baby. What I should have done was make myself a sewing room and stocked up on fabric/wool to make my own items of wanton lust - like cloth diaper covers, wool pants, and maternity clothes made from what I've already got.

Anyway, I think that our society is definitely moving towards over parenting, plastic parenting, and "fad" parenting. Which isn't always a bad thing, we are human and we only know what we know.

What I know, is that my breasts have kept my baby happy and alive, my bed gets more use than the crib, and I was never happier to ditch carrying around the giant car seat! What a relief that was.

No comments: